Tuesday 2 October 2012

Put your Hood Up

A few years ago, my oldest daughter was studying up to get her Learner's Permit. She read through the book and completed numerous online tests in an effort to prepare herself for her trip to the Registries Office. 

Unfortunately, her first time taking the test didn't quite work out as planned. Not to be deterred, she came back home and began doing some more practice tests online. I'm not sure why, but I decided it would be fun to try one of these quizzes as well. Let's just say it didn't work out so well.

I'm not sure why I thought I would pass. If I'm honest, I would admit that the only reason I got a driver's license in the first place was because my twin sister went first and passed, and the lady at the Registries office felt guilty about only one of us getting a license. It worked out well for me - although apparently I was still a bit challenged by the rules of the road.

During one of their visits, her Grandma started quizzing her on the various topics in the book. The conversation went kind of like this:

G: What do you do if your car breaks down while you are driving?

E: Pull off to the shoulder and put on your hazard lights.

G: Good answer. Is there anything else you might do?

E: (thinking) Maybe call for help on your cell phone?

G: Yes, you could do that. Anything else?

E: No, I think that's it.

G: You could also put your hood up.

E: (puzzled) what?

G: Put your hood up to signal you might need help.

E: Oh. OK. But what if you aren't wearing a hoodie that day?

Yes, it's nice to know that she got her driving smarts from me :) In the end, she did get her permit - and eventually her license. And, when I cleaned out her car as a surprise one day, I was glad to see she had three hoodies in the back - you know, just in case.



It's always good to be prepared.

Need a little sip of Gin & Tonic to get through the day? Follow me on Twitter at   

No comments:

Post a Comment