Thursday 6 September 2012

One of Those Days

We've all had those days, right? You know, the one's that start in the middle of the night when you are woken by an upset child, bad dream, or simply your brain deciding to pop into overdrive at 2 a.m.  

Or maybe it doesn't even start in the middle of the night - maybe it starts when one kid wakes up early and decides (s)he requires the complete attention of everyone else. Only problem is no one else gives a s&*^ because they are still sleeping. Cue chaos.

I hate the mornings that start like this - mostly because I am most decidedly NOT a morning person. And when one thing starts off poorly, it seems inevitable that everything else decides to bow to peer pressure and follow.

Case in point.  This morning, one of my lovelies decided to conduct a sneak attack at 6:15 a.m. much to the chagrin of his brother and sister. I laid in my bed listening to what sounded a lot like a blood bath occurring upstairs, wondering if I could will myself to leave my bed and intervene. Turned out the answer was no. They soon made their way whining and snivelling downstairs, each trying to win my favour and have the others punished for their heinous ways. After several minutes of pleading with them to please, just be quiet, I gave up and turned on the TV. Cue silence - for two minutes at least.

I hauled my sorry rear end out of bed, and proceeded to stumble to the kitchen and make myself a cup of coffee. The first time I forgot to put the K-Cup in . . . and because I'm high maintenance and want something a little more than just hot water in the morning I tried again.  I put the K-Cup in the second time - however left the cup on the counter. Yeah, that didn't work out so well either.

By the time I cleaned up the mess, all three lovelies were hanging off my legs, begging for breakfast because in their words, I starve them. I started to work on getting their breakfasts ready, contemplating whether or not I might just leave a strand of my hair on their waffles in retaliation for waking me up so darn early.  Thankfully, my third attempt at coffee worked like a charm, and after a couple of sips, I did feel a bit better. Unfortunately for them, I'm getting old and my hair is falling out, so one of them did get lucky and have a little 'extra' with their breakfast. You can use your imagination to decide how that one played out.

I finally got Z out the door for school after much prodding and reminding that he did indeed have school today. He was a little upset with me because I wouldn't figure out 'how many more sleeps it is until summer holidays'. Kinda makes me look forward to the year ahead!

Yes, I can tell already it's going to be one of those days. I haven't decided yet whether I'm just going to crawl back under my covers or drink myself silly - either seems like a pretty good option at this point. Maybe I'll settle for a second cup of coffee and bake some cookies - because a cookie can make any day better, right? 

Have a great day everyone!




Need a sip of Gin & Tonic to get through the day? Follow me on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment