Thursday 7 February 2013

Now That's ... Odd ...

My sister was in town visiting a while ago, and for fun, we thought we would check out an Antique Store to see if we could re-create any childhood memories.

There were several items we could recall from our childhood there, along with a few others that quite frankly, made me wonder who ever thought to make such a thing.

For instance, this beautiful piece was calling my name; however in a house full of children, it would likely not last very long. Plus, I'm thinking it might look kind of scary if one was to put it in a backlit cabinet ....


On second thought, having this sit on top of the piano with a light inside of it, to greet the children as they came downstairs in the middle of the night for a snuggle might just solve our little problem of keeping them in their beds . . . Hmmmm . . . I wonder if it is still there?

If it isn't, this little gem just might do the trick. I'm not normally a fan of monkeys, but when I came across this piece I stopped dead in my tracks.


Nothing screams 'CREEPY' quite like looking at a smoking circus monkey. If we could somehow rig the end of the pipe to glow red, and the occasional puff of smoke to come out of it, we may just be able to convince the kids he's real and will chase them back upstairs if they dare to crawl out of their beds.

But enough about scaring the kids . . .


Next up was an item that was rather puzzling. It was an ice cream mould like none I've ever seen before - not that I've seen a lot of ice cream moulds in my time mind you. However, back in the day, I suppose  it was the thing to do ....


Yes, if I hadn't been too cheap to pay the $45 asking price, you too could have been served ice cream in the form of a baby lamb the next time I invited you to dinner. Of course, I don't really have dinner parties, so the chances of you getting an invitation and being served a fancy schmancy dessert like this are slim and none. Phew . . . it's a good thing I saved my money.

Last, but certainly not least, was this darling wicker pig.


I really don't have anything to say about this beauty, other than I've never seen a wicker pig before and I probably never will again so I took a picture. It's obvious a great deal of care and craftsmanship went into this piece, and I am ever hopeful that this precious item has been purchased and placed in a loving 'forever' home. It's no less than he (or she - it's hard to tell) deserves.


How about you? What interesting things have you found when out shopping?

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I could spend hours in Antique Malls. I love seeing crazy stuff. I saw an antique popcorn popper once, had to be from the 20's. It was bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antique Malls are definitely a time stealer for sure - we always make sure to hit one or two up whenever we are travelling :)

    ReplyDelete