Thursday 19 July 2012

I'll Love You Forever

We've all been there - usually in the grocery store or some other very public place. 

I am always very impressed with how committed my kids are to their tantrums in public. There's just no holding back. We've got yelling, screaming, kicking, biting, pulling hair - they will pull out all the stops to try and get that chocolate bar, package of gum, or pair of princess panties in Ben's case.

I can remember going grocery shopping one afternoon with the kids, and the store owner came up to me and suggested that I might benefit from a drink when I got home. I appreciated his suggestion, and was glad I had a case of Tonic in the cart.

Sometimes, their enthusiasm is contagious, and I start crying too. It is usually at this point I tell them that my head will start to spin and eventually fly across the room, spewing blood and gore everywhere. This was a great strategy until, unfortunately, Zach asked me to "prove it" one day - turns out my head won't spin and fall off despite my best efforts. And believe me, at that point, I did try!

Today I went to Costco and left the kids at a friend's house.  I could actually look at things without trying to keep them in sight, and when I stopped by the book section, I didn't even have to re-shelve everything! There was no whining, fighting, crying, or other mortification inducing moment at the check out. I was able to push my cart to the car and unload it without incident. 

In a word . . . boring. 

But I'm getting old, so boring is good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment