Thursday 14 June 2012

Andale Andale Arriba Arriba

Those ever famous words from our dear friend, Speedy Gonzales.  I find myself thinking of these words every so often - but for reasons you may not expect.

My kids are striving to be brilliant . . . or maybe just plain weird. For the past few months, they have been obsessive about watching their movies in Spanish. Why Spanish? Why not?! 

The first time they asked to listen to the Spanish version, I thought it was kind of cute - kinda one or two gophers kind of cute ;) But here we are - many, many, MANY car rides later - and I am getting sick of the Spanish. Well, not necessarily the language - because it is kind of interesting to hear it. Rather, it is constantly being asked "What did she just say??". Are you kidding me? 

These are the following phrases I know in Spanish:

1. Andale Andale Arriba Arriba (Hurry and get me out of this freaking car before I snap!!!)

2. Cervesa por favour (Good Lord I need a drink!!)

So you see, my understanding is very limited to only very useful and functional phrases. I really don't know what Barbie is trying to tell Madame Carp in The Princess and the Pauper or, for that matter why the dolphin in Barbie and a Mermaid Tale is so worked up. 

In a last ditch effort to save my sanity, I decided to just start answering their questions - so the conversation will generally go something like this . . .

Kids: Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom (they have to say this many times because usually I am ignoring them) - what did King Dominic just say?
Me: I think he told her he hadn't pooped for a week.

Kids: Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom - what did Kylie Morgan just say?
Me: She told Merleah she just peed in the ocean.

Then they start arguing with me because they can't remember those lines in the English version.


Sigh. Cervesa por favour?

No comments:

Post a Comment