Wednesday 6 June 2012

I Wonder Where Babies Come from Anyways?

This is the question I was greeted with as I was making Zach's lunch this morning and having a discussion with Elizabeth about how she shared her name with her great grandma.  She asked it in a 'I just can't figure it out' kind of way, which made it all the more endearing I suppose. Needless to say, I lied and said 'I don't know either - weird, hey?' She agreed and went on her merry way.

I suppose this could have been a 'teachable' moment; however I honestly had no idea what to say. There are a couple of reasons for this:

  1. No morning coffee (or Bailey's) had yet been consumed therefore brain activity had yet to commence.
  2. I had a flashback to when Emily was five and asked me what sex was.
Picture a 5 year old Emily and a much skinnier me sitting on the couch one night watching TV when a commercial came on which posed the question "Which is better - sex or chocolate?" (Talk about an unfair question!) Of course, ever inquisitive Emily looked at me with innocent eyes and said "Mommy, what is sex?" 

I remember mulling this over in my mind for a few minutes before telling her quite simply that it is something that happens when two people who love each other very much sleep in the same bed together.  Not a bad response to a five year old, right? She was satisfied with this answer, and I mentally high-fived myself for getting through the moment.

A few days later I had to go out of town for work and made arrangements for Emily to spend the night with her Auntie.  When I returned home the following day, my sister pulled me aside and shared that Emily had excitedly told the babysitter she was going to go home and have sex with her Auntie that evening. Oh. My. Word. I mean, I can laugh about it now - but back then I was mortified!

At any rate, Zach told her this afternoon that babies come out of stomachs, and she was going to have LOTS of them - just like the gophers. It just goes to show that if you wait long enough, someone else will take care of things for you. See how easy that was?


No comments:

Post a Comment